The Food Supplement Program
The Food Supplement Program provides monthly assistance to low-income families to help them buy food and eat healthy. The program provides a monthly sum of money on an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card to be used, like a debit card, at most grocery stores and other food retailers. Every $1 in Food Supplement Program benefits spent in the community generates $1.85 in local economic activity. Maryland would gain millions in federal funds by signing up eligible households - funds that would stimulate the local economy. People who work sometimes assume they are not eligible for this program, or that time-off from work is required to apply. This is not true. Click on the link to SAIL to determine eligibility and apply.
What's happening with the Food Supplement Program in Maryland?
Funding available for food stamp outreach:
Is your nonprofit interested in or currently engaged in food stamp outreach? The State Outreach Plan is an opportunity to join an active group of organizations conducting food stamp outreach in Maryland, from distributing materials and conducting pre-screenings to assisting individuals and families with the application process. Download the following resources:
- Conference Call Slides: How to Join the State Outreach Plan (pdf)
- USDA Fiscal Year 2013 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Process and Technology Improvement Grants
- Food Supplement Program Outreach Guide (pdf)
- Sample Application Template for Community Partners (pdf)
- Sample Community Partner Application (pdf)
October 1, 2012 - Food Stamp Eligibility Changes Take Effect Today
New income eligibility guidelines are reflected in our updated Getting Food Stamps in Maryland Guide (pdf) and in our Food Stamp outreach tools.
Independence Cards Now Accepted at a Farmerís Market Near You
Click here for more information...
Maryland Hunger Solutions can help by:
- analyzing the state's Food Supplement policy to advise stakeholders on systems improvements;
- providing Food Supplement outreach materials tailored to the clients you support;
- training your staff on how to conduct effective outreach and enroll clients in the Food Supplement Program;
- identifying referrals for assistance with applications or legal issues;
- helping arrange for a telephone interview if your clients are unable to get to a food stamp office for an in-person interview due to their work schedules or a hardship;
- assisting you or your clients with applying for the program or recertification.
We can help you apply for FSP over the phone today. Call us toll-free at 866-821-5552.