The Food Stamp Challenge
The Food Stamp Challenge - January 24 - 31, 2011- gives participants a view of what life can be like for millions of low-income Americans. Challenge participants use the average Food Supplement benefit as their budget for food for one week. They are forced to make difficult food shopping choices, and often realize how difficult it is to avoid hunger, afford nutritious foods, and stay healthy.
- Read about Cathy Demeroto's experience on the Challenge
- Watch as Maryland Delegates Ana Sol Gutierrez and Mary Washington relate their experiences on the Challenge.
- Maryland Department of Human Resources Promotes the Challenge (pdf)
- Follow the Challenge on Twitter
- Find out who's participating, and read about their experiences
Maryland Department of Aging Secretary Gloria Lawlah and Maryland Hunger Solutions Director Cathy Demeroto find shopping a challenge when preparing for the Food Stamp Challenge.
While living on a food stamp budget for just a week cannot come close to the struggles encountered by low-income families week after week and month after month, it does provide those who take the Challenge with a new perspective and greater understanding. Read more about the Challenge